Friday, December 28, 2007

The Swag

Today I overslept, with less than thirty minutes before my work shift. I took a single minute laying in my bed, deciding whether to

A) Make a mad dash downstairs, pack my dinner, run to my car and push 100 all the way to the interstate.

B) Use my remaining sick time to take the day off, since it will automatically refresh next week.

I chose the latter, and did not regret it. Made a trip to Best Buy, fixed up my room, packed up my gifts, and learned that Comcast now supplies a cable box that supports HDMI (word to the wise: component is an obsolete output. and no, that isn't a dig on the Wii).

Speaking of gifts, let me take the time to show you what I got this year.















Praise Santa. This was all I needed to have a happy holiday. The order was placed toward Amazon, despite messages that they were out of stock. It literally shipped the day before Christmas. Apparently, Jacob does love me.

If you don't know what that means, you need to start watching this show.















Coffee!















With assorted flavors!















They should have had a camera handy, because I'm certain the look I was giving upon receiving this was priceless. At first I thought that this toolbox was a prank, with the real gift being inside.















Well I can't say I wasn't surprised. I was never big on tools or construction, and more of an electronics kind of guy. I began to suspect if perhaps my Dad was echoing Homer in purchasing a gift as a clever ruse to enjoy it himself. But after some later thought, it turned out that a toolset was something that was both useful and essential for me, much like Bart's little birthday revelation.















Screwdrivers were also included.















And to conclude "Father knows Best", he also got me this push-up set, which features a tutorial DVD. I'm very much looking forward to this, hoping that the set's claims of growing tremendously strong in short increments per day will yield quick results.

















Oh, and....he also got me this Hooters 2008 calender. I'm not one to shy away from free eye candy, but to receive this from my father isn't just awkward, it's also annoying ("Woo, son. Look at those titties.").















Grandma stopped over shortly, offering a large amount of clothes, the swankiest being these pair of cargo pants.















She also included this rather pricey electric razor. My last attempt with trying an electric razor did not yield sufficient results, but the first test drive with this gizmo left a moderately smooth shave around my cheeks, but not so much under my chin. The manual says it takes about three weeks for my skin to grow used to the razor, so hopefully I can get a smooth cut without shelling out for spare blades and shaving cream.















A movie giftcard from my aunt. Only problem is that my local theater is a Muvico, not AMC. It could take a while before I deplete this card completely.















Ah, good old Uncle Ben. Always a pleasure to see you.

Ben and I went out to Best Buy on my day off today, where I made off with the following two games.















Unreal Tournament III: I haven't immersed myself in this online frag-fest just yet, but so far the atmosphere feels like a cross between Gears of War and Mortal Kombat. The dialog is even more sophomoric than the aforementioned game, if you can believe that.















Silent Hill Origins: I had my doubts, but many longtime fans have sworn that this game is just as terrifying as its large-screen predecessors. I'm going to give this a spin right after this entry, immersed in darkness and with a pair of headphones.

Hope everyone else had a good haul this year. See you the day before year's end.

No comments: